Medical science is constantly undergoing technological advancement. The techniques which we see now were not even imagined a decade ago. One such revolutionary discovery in the history of medical science is the imaging machines. Several imaging machines are used daily to diagnose several diseases. Examples of digital imaging machines are X-ray, ultrasound, CT, Fluoroscopy, MRI, mammography, etc. One of the most widely used digital imaging machines is the X-ray machine.
Medical X-ray equipment is crucial equipment to have in any hospital. X-rays are used by X-ray equipment and other medical imaging such as CT, fluoroscopy, and radiography.
Importance of X-rays
The discovery of X-rays proved to be beneficial in medical science. The primary use of X-rays is in the X-ray machine, and however, it is also used for imaging in CT, mammography, fluoroscopy, etc. So, why are X-rays a medical boon?
- Firstly, it helps you with the diagnosis of a disease. Several diseases show the symptoms internally, and you have to look inside the body to confirm the diagnosis.
- You can take a look inside the body in a non-invasive manner. The doctors can look at the X-ray reports and plan the surgery or therapy accordingly.
- X-rays are beneficial in detecting fractures. The X-rays provide the exact location of the fracture, and the doctors can plan the surgery accordingly.
- They can also be used to look at the location of teeth. It helps dentists to perform teeth extraction or root canal treatment efficiently.
With the X-rays’ advantages, there comes a few risks too. The X-ray machines use the X-rays, which are ionizing radiations. They can cause alterations in the DNA because of their high energy level. Some of the risks are as follows: –
- A slight increase in the radiation dose may increase the risk of getting cancer later. It is always recommended to get medical x-ray equipment from a trusted company. Dicom Solutions provides you with the best quality imaging equipment at reasonable prices.
- Radiation exposure can cause damage to the cells of infants. Therefore, X-rays are generally suggested only if it is highly crucial.
- Pregnant ladies should not be exposed to X-rays because the ionizing radiation can cause harm to the developing fetus. They can penetrate deep into the cells and cause alterations in the DNA.
- Regular exposure to X-rays can increase the risk of cancer.
X-ray equipment is undoubtedly one of the most helpful devices in medical science. It helps us diagnose a disease or confirm a diagnosis in a non-invasive manner. The doctors can look at the X-ray reports and plan a treatment or surgery accordingly. However, with so many advantages, there come some associated risks. The benefits generally outweigh the risks. We must use this particular boon judiciously. X-rays must be used only if there is no other alternative. In addition, regular exposure must be prevented. The X-rays must be done with the doctor’s prescription only. In this way, we can use the X-ray equipment for our benefit without any risk.